High-Efficiency Toilet Residential Rebate Program
Effective July 1, 2018
City of Modesto water customers in single and multi-family homes may be eligible for a rebate when they replace their old high water use toilets. Funding is limited and applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. The City reserves the right to terminate this program at any time and for any reason.
Customers are eligible for a $50 rebate with the purchase of qualifying High Efficiency Toilets (HET) of 1.28 gallons per flush or less. The rebate amount may not exceed $150 per City of Modesto water account.
Replacing a high water use toilet with a new High Efficiency Toilet (HET) of 1.28 gallons per foot (gpf) can save about 38 gallons of water each day. An High Efficiency Toilet (HET) uses 20% less water per flush than ULFT models. Efficiency measures such as replacing water guzzling toilets with the latest in low-flush toilet technology helps ensure the future water supply is adequate and helps maintain low water rates.
How to Apply
- Obtain an application using one of the following methods:
- If you are not applying online, send completed paper application and the original sales receipt to one of the following:
City of Modesto Attention:Water Division - Rebate Program
PO Box 642
Modesto CA 95353
- Fax: 209-577-4983
Program Guidelines and Participation Section
- City of Modesto customers who pay a water utility bill to the City of Modesto
- Customer accounts that are in good standing
- Tenants who provide written approval from the property owner or property manager.
- Customers with homes built before 1992.
- Program applies to toilet(s) purchased between July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019.
- Rebate application must be submitted within 60 days of sales receipt.
- The qualifying toilet must remain at the installation site for a minimum of six months after installation date.
Toilets (qualifying for rebate)
- New toilet(s) must be rated as 1.28 gpf or less and must bear the Water Sense label.
- Dual Flush Toilets may qualify.
- View List of qualifying toilets online or call 209-342-2246 for more information.
- Toilet(s) being replaced must exceed 1.6 gpf and be manufactured before 1992.
- High Efficiency Toilet(s) (HET) must be installed within the Modesto City service area and at the location on application.
- If the existing toilet(s) are already 1.6 gallons or less per flush, they will not qualify for this rebate program.
- Toilet installation costs, new construction, accessories, and taxes do not qualify.
- Rebate checks will be mailed within 8 weeks after completing the rebate process.
- Rebate amount cannot exceed the purchase price of a new toilet.
- Rebates are limited to three per utility billing account including PUD's and Home Owner Association’s, mobile homes, condos/townhouse, and multi-family residential or any other shared billing account.
Application and Rebate Approval or Denial
- On-site compliance verification may be required.
- The original itemized dated sales receipt for the new toilet(s) is required (copies not accepted). Scanned original will be accepted via online submittal only.
- Incomplete, incorrect or unsigned applications cannot be processed.We will contact you with any discrepancies and may require you to submit a new application.
- Customer must fulfill all program guidelines in order to be eligible for rebates.
- The rebate application must be submitted within 60 days of sales receipt.
- The Rebate Program is not responsible for materials lost by mail.
- Submission or possession of a rebate application does not guarantee receiving a rebate.
- Rebates are processed on a first come, first served basis.
- Funding for this rebate program is limited to available resources.
- Rebate amounts are subject to change without notification.
- This program shall at all times be subject to change or termination without prior notice.
- Learn more about water conservation and this rebate by visiting the H2ouse website.