Escape the frantic world of the large metropolis without sacrificing the finer things in life… visit Modesto.
It is here that you will find the best of both worlds: small town atmosphere balanced with a splash of big city
attractions as Modesto is the leader in the Central Valley for arts, culture and entertainment.
The McHenry Mansion was built in 1883 by Robert McHenry. The Mansion was donated to the City of Modesto after
which it was refurbished and decorated with antiques appropriate to the period in which it was built. Today the
Mansion is one of Modesto’s favorite tourist attractions.
One block away from the McHenry Mansion, the McHenry Museum is home to many historical artifacts from the early
days of the City of Modesto and Stanislaus County. The Museum that stands today was originally the city library, but
was donated to the City of Modesto by the McHenry family in 1912.
Modesto also offers the ability for all to see, touch and experience the past and present through a variety of
animals, plants and cultural artifacts from not only the valley, but also from around the world. The Great Valley
Museum of Natural History brings the wonders of science and nature.
Modesto is home to some unique galleries:
- Mistlin Gallery supports local artists by showcasing and selling their paintings, sculptures, graphics and crafts.
The gallery also hosts the Central California Art League.
- The Chartreuse Muse offers exhibits by local artists as well, including paintings, collage, glass, metal, jewelry
- Anderson Gallery also features local artists’ paintings and jewelry. If you are looking for a broader scope of
- Big Valley Gallery offers a variety of unique artwork from California and nationally-known artists.
Modesto is home to many musical and theatrical venues, and there is sure to be one that suits your taste:
- The newest addition to the Modesto entertainment scene is the Gallo Center for the Arts. This outstanding
community asset sets a new standard for all arts, education and entertainment in the Central Valley. The Center is
the performance home for the Modesto Symphony Orchestra Association, the Townsend Opera Players and the Central West
Ballet. Top-notch entertainment, art and culture are always on the menu at the Center.
- For more than seventy years the Modesto Symphony has entertained locals and visitors alike with their
- With over 130 cast members, The Nutcracker is the Central West Ballet’s largest production.
- The Townsend Opera Players ensure that opera sings on in the valley. Offering something for everyone, the
newcomer will be amazed when they are introduced to live opera and musical theatre; while the opera-buff will be
impressed by these local talents.
- The Youth Entertainment Stage Company (YES Company) brings to life musical productions with children ages 12
through 18. These students have the opportunity to create sets and costumes and perform before the entire community.
- The summer-time favorite is MoBand, hands down. These outdoor concerts bring the lazy days of summer full-circle
as people enjoy an evening family picnic at Mancini Bowl in Graceada Park.
- The beautifully renovated and historic State Theatre plays host to a wide variety of events from live concerts
and productions, to independent films and awards ceremonies. It is a great place to see your favorite artist in a
very personal setting with only 580 seats.
- Music and drama performances abound from Modesto Junior College and California State University, Stanislaus both
of which present concerts, recitals, plays and more!