Javascript not enabled!

Land Development & Engineering

City Engineer 
Vickey Dion

Main Number:  
(209) 342-4712


  • Standard Design Specifications
    Land Development Engineering (LDE) is responsible for maintaining and upholding the City of Modesto Standard Design Specifications.

    Related document(s):
    - 2014 City of Modesto Standard Specifications
    - 2011 Modesto Stormwater Guidance Manual   

  • Improvement Plans/Maps
    All off-site Civil Improvement plans, Parcel Maps, and Subdivision Maps must undergo a review and approval process. LDE thoroughly checks these plans for conformance to the City Standards, municipal code, state water and health regulations, Subdivision Map Act, and overall sound engineering practices. In addition, LDE reviews on-site storm drainage design for conformance to the current requirements as outlined in the City Standards.

    Review times for Improvement Plan submittals:
    -  First submittal – up to 15 working days
    -  Second and subsequent submittals – up to 10 working days each
  • Wastewater/Sewer Fees
    The City of Modesto Council approved new wastewater capacity fees for residential and commercial development. The fee criteria became effective on August 1, 2007. The fees are based on land use which determines the estimated wastewater daily flow. The amount of daily flow is used to calculate wastewater fees. Other sewer fees such as the lateral charge based on lot frontage and a subtrunk fee may still apply.

    For a complete list of Sewer related fees, click here.

    To find the approximate wastewater fees for your proposed project, click on one of the following links and enter the required information in the Sewer Connection fields:
  • Water Connection Fees
    Along with wastewater fees, LDE calculates fees and issues water installation permits for new water connections. For a typical 1 inch water connection, the following fees would be applicable: connection charge - $5,702, service installation - $1,108, and water meter - $275. In addition, if a property has never been connected to City water, then an additional charge of $26 per linear feet of lot frontage adjacent to any City water main would be applicable.

    Related document(s):
    - Water Related Fees
  • Will-Serve Process
    When a property lies outside City of Modesto limits, and within the City’s service area, a Will-Serve application is required when requesting approval to connect to City water or sewer. Allowing a connection to the existing system is determined based on sewer and/or water capacity and availability. The Will-Serve application should include a fire flow test (for water only – please contact your local fire department).

    Related document(s):
    - Will Serve Request
  • Encroachment Permits
    LDE issues encroachment permits for all work performed in the City’s right-of-way. Examples include: curb, gutter, sidewalk, driveways, sewer lateral repair and installation, and others. Any contractor performing work in the public right-of-way must have proper workers’ compensation and liability insurance on file with the City of Modesto. To submit applications or questions email:

    Related document(s):
    - Encroachment Fees
    - Encroachment Permit Application
  • Easement Dedications
    LDE processes easement dedications for right-of-ways, public utilities easements, and planting easements. Unless dedicating on a parcel or subdivision final map, all the aforementioned dedications can be recorded by separate instrument.

    Related document(s):
    - Planting Easement
    - Public Right of Way
    - Public Utility Easement

  • Cost Share Program
    Per the City of Modesto Municipal Code section 5-6.309, each user shall be responsible for the construction, maintenance, and repair of their sewer line from their property line out to the main in the street and/or alley. The Cost Share Program is set up to offer home owners financial assistance if repairs or maintenance are required for the sewer line located in the public right-of-way including street, sidewalk, or alley. The program reimburses 50% of the lowest of three licensed and approved plumber bid estimates for the final cost of the sewer line repair. The assistance is only for the portion of the sewer line located in the right-of-way and does not cover any sewer work on the property.

    For more information on the Private Sewer Lateral Cost Share Program, please contact the program coordinator at 209-342-4712

  • Outdoor Dining Permit
    Per the City of Modesto’s ordinance 3407-C.S., an encroachment permit is required for all dining areas in the public right of way. Every owner business operator who desires to place chairs or tables in a public sidewalk, alley, court, or street must first submit an application for an outdoor dining permit.

    Related document(s):
    - Outdoor Dining Requirements
    - Outdoor Dining Application
  • FEMA
    For flood plain information, please visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Map Service Center:
  • Application to Install/Abandon Water, Monitoring or Emergency Extraction Well(s), or Any Other Excavation(s) That May Intersect Groundwater within the City of Modesto
    A permit is required for ANY excavation in the City limits that may intersect groundwater. This includes, but is not limited to installation or abandonment of monitoring wells, vapor extraction wells, private water wells, etc. Processing time for this type of permit is approximately 15 to 20 working days.

    Related document(s):
    - Monitoring Well Application

  • Transportation Permits
    LDE processes the applications for oversize load transportation permits for travel with the city limits of the City of Modesto.

    Related document(s):
    - City of Modesto Transportation Permit Application – Single Trip ($15.00)
    - City of Modesto Transportation Permit Application – Annual Trip ($85.00)

View Engineering related documents