The City of Modesto Board of Building Appeals has several functions:
- To determine the suitability of alternate materials and methods of construction.
- To provide for reasonable interpretations of the provisions of the California Building, Mechanical, Plumbing and Electrical Codes; Flood Damage Prevention Regulations and the City of Modesto’s Building Maintenance Code.
- To hear appeals from any person having any record title or legal interest in a building or structure that has been issued a Notice of Violation, Notice and Order, or any action by the Chief Building Official. An appeal must be filed within thirty (30) days of the date of service of the Notice and Order or Notice of Violation
- The written appeal must contain a brief statement setting forth the legal interest of each of the appellants in the building or the land subject to the action of the Building Official or involved in the Notice of Violation or Notice and Order. The written appeal must contain a brief statement in ordinary and concise language of the specific order, action and/or Building Code section under protest, together with any material facts that support the contentions of the appellant.
- The written appeal must contain a brief statement in ordinary and concise language of the relief sought, and the reasons why it is claimed, why the protested order or action should be reversed, modified, or otherwise set aside.
- The written appeal must contain signatures of all parties named as appellants and their official mailing addresses.
- At least one (1) appellant must submit a declaration under penalty of perjury as to the truth of matters stated in the appeal. This declaration must be submitted with the written appeal itself.
An appeal fee of $1,040 shall be collected upon submission of appeal request to recover costs of the hearing; however, the Chief Building Official may waive the appeal fee upon written request for good cause shown. Good cause may include severe economic hardship, significant attempts to comply with decision of the Chief Building Official, Notice of Violation or Notice and Order, and other factors indicating good faith attempts to comply with the decision of the Building Official, Notice of Violation or Notice and Order.
By City Ordinance the board is composed of five (5) members who are qualified by experience and training to pass upon matters pertaining to building construction. The Chief Building Official acts as Secretary of the Board. The members of the Board are appointed and hold office in accordance with the provisions of Article XI of the Charter of the City of Modesto.
Board of Building Appeals Meetings
The public is welcome and encouraged to attend all public meetings!
For any questions, please contact
Building Safety at (209) 577-5232.