Commercial: New Construction
Dept/Div. Contact: Building Safety -
Before developing a parcel of land, you will need to
determine if the parcel is zoned for your desired use or if
there are any special development considerations for your
Examples: If you are planning an office building, you will need to make sure that the lot you are intending to build on is
appropriate for an office based on zoning and other
a parcel of land, you will need to determine if
the parcel is zoned for your desired use or if
there are any special development considerations
for your project.
The Planning Division will be able to tell you the zoning
of the property or if there are any special considerations
for your project. If your project requires special handling,
our staff will inform you of the requirements and next
Who to contact:
- Planning Division at (209) 577-5267
- Assessor's Parcel Number (APN)
- Description of your proposed project
If your proposed project meets the zoning
requirements, you will typically follow the
process given below. If not, staff will
inform you of your options.
Certain projects will have special requirements and need
specific actions before submitting building plans.
Who to Contact:
- Public Works: (209) 571-5569
- Parks, Recreation & Neighborhoods: (209) 571-5573
After the Planning review process has been completed,
building plans can be submitted for review.
Building Plans are reviewed to assure that construction
meets basic life safety. Depending upon the type of project, and the
complexity of construction, our staff will examine
your plans for conformance to these requirements.
Where to submit plans:
1010 Tenth Street, 3rd Floor [Directions]
What to include:
For Building Review:
- 4 sets of complete building plans (includes one
set for Fire)
NOTE: Building Code
compliance items fully detailed on plans
- 2 sets of State Energy forms
- 1 set of scaled floor plans for the County
- 2 sets of truss calculations
- 2 sets of structural calculations
- 1 set of complete plumbing and Civil Drawings
for Environmental Services Review – (209) 577-6377
(for projects with grease, oil, sand, food
operations, drinking and dining establishments etc.
- Contacted and submitted plans to County Health
Department (209) 525-6700
(food operations, drinking and dining
establishments, commercial pools)
- Special inspection required per California
Building Code (CBC), Section 1701
- Hazardous Materials Form
- Soils report
For Public Works Review:
- 3 Sets of Civil Engineering Plans (includes 1
set for Storm Water review)
- Hydrology Map with cross sections and
- Soils Report Parcel Map (if applicable)
- Parcel Map (if applicable)
- Final Conditions of Approval ( CC Resolutions /BZA
Conditions, Resolutions )
For Landscape Review:
- 3 sets of landscape and irrigation plans
- 1 set of all building elevations and site
- 1 set of civil drawings
For Planning Review:
- 2 sets of Site Development Plans and building
For Solid Waste Review:
- 1 sets of Site Development Plans
You will be required to pay a Pre-Plan
Check Fee at this time. Staff will inform you of
the amount at the time you submit your building plans.
Please visit our 'Fees'
page for current fees
Once your plans are approved, you will need to
pay for any plan review costs, building permits or other
fees that may apply to your project.
Where to go:
1010 Tenth Street, 3rd Floor
When your plans are approved and at the time you pay your fees, the Building Safety Division will
issue the required permits for your project.
covering up or building over any permitted work, you will
need to call and request an inspection. Inspections are
required to ensure that all work was completed correctly,
based on building and safety codes currently in effect.
If an encroachment permit was required for your
project, schedule off-site inspections with the Public
Works Department at (209) 342-2284.
How to schedule an inspection
After your final inspection, your project will be
Related Forms & Handouts
These documents are provided in PDF Format. You
must have a PDF viewer in order to open these documents.
Click here for the free Adobe Acrobat viewer.
Contact the Building Safety Division at (209) 577-5232.
This page was updated on: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:57:49 PM