City Home : Development Center Home : Commercial   ::  View Print-Friendly Page   ::  Submit Feedback

Commercial: New Construction

Dept/Div. Contact:  Building Safety - (209) 577-5232


Description:  Before developing a parcel of land, you will need to determine if the parcel is zoned for your desired use or if there are any special development considerations for your project.

Examples: If you are planning an office building, you will need to make sure that the lot you are intending to build on is appropriate for an office based on zoning and other requirements.


Determine Zoning

Before developing a parcel of land, you will need to determine if the parcel is zoned for your desired use or if there are any special development considerations for your project.

The Planning Division will be able to tell you the zoning of the property or if there are any special considerations for your project.  If your project requires special handling, our staff will inform you of the requirements and next steps.

Who to contact:

  • Planning Division at (209) 577-5267

Please provide:

  • Assessor's Parcel Number (APN)
  • Description of your proposed project

If your proposed project meets the zoning requirements, you will typically follow the process given below.  If not, staff will inform you of your options.

Determine Special Requirements

Certain projects will have special requirements and need specific actions before submitting building plans.

Who to Contact:

  • Public Works:  (209) 571-5569
  • Parks, Recreation & Neighborhoods: (209) 571-5573

Submit Building Plans

After the Planning review process has been completed, building plans can be submitted for review. Building Plans are reviewed to assure that construction meets basic life safety. Depending upon the type of project, and the complexity of construction, our staff will examine your plans for conformance to these requirements.

Where to submit plans:

Building Safety
1010 Tenth Street, 3rd Floor   [Directions]
(209) 577-5232

What to include:

For Building Review:

  • 4 sets of complete building plans (includes one set for Fire) 
    NOTE: Building Code compliance items fully detailed on plans
  • 2 sets of State Energy forms
  • 1 set of scaled floor plans for the County Assessor
  • 2 sets of truss calculations
  • 2 sets of structural calculations
  • 1 set of complete plumbing and Civil Drawings for Environmental Services Review (209) 577-6377
    (for projects with grease, oil, sand, food operations, drinking and dining establishments etc. considerations)
  • Contacted and submitted plans to County Health Department (209) 525-6700
    (food operations, drinking and dining establishments, commercial pools)
  • Special inspection required per California Building Code (CBC), Section 1701
  • Hazardous Materials Form
  • Soils report

For Public Works Review:

  • 3 Sets of Civil Engineering Plans (includes 1 set for Storm Water review)
  • Hydrology Map with cross sections and Calculations
  • Soils Report Parcel Map (if applicable)
  • Parcel Map (if applicable)
  • Final Conditions of Approval ( CC Resolutions /BZA Conditions, Resolutions )

For Landscape Review:

  • 3 sets of landscape and irrigation plans
  • 1 set of all building elevations and site grading plans
  • 1 set of civil drawings

For Planning Review:

  • 2 sets of Site Development Plans and building elevations

For Solid Waste Review:

  • 1 sets of Site Development Plans


Information/Forms: (#CP3A)

Please NOTE: 

You will be required to pay a Pre-Plan Check Fee at this time.  Staff will inform you of the amount at the time you submit your building plans.

Please visit our 'Fees' page for current fees

Pay Fees

Once your plans are approved,  you will need to pay for any plan review costs, building permits or other fees that may apply to your project. 

Where to go:

Building Safety
1010 Tenth Street, 3rd Floor [Directions]
(209) 577-5232

Information/Forms: (#CP3F)

    Get Permits

    When your plans are approved and at the time you pay your fees, the Building Safety Division will issue the required permits for your project.

    Schedule Inspections

    Before covering up or building over any permitted work, you will need to call and request an inspection. Inspections are required to ensure that all work was completed correctly, based on building and safety codes currently in effect.

    If an encroachment permit was required for your project, schedule off-site inspections with the Public Works Department at (209) 342-2284.

    How to schedule an inspection 


    After your final inspection, your project will be considered complete.


    Related Forms & Handouts (#CP3)

    These documents are provided in PDF Format. You must have a PDF viewer in order to open these documents. Click here for the free Adobe Acrobat viewer.


    Have Questions?

    Contact the Building Safety Division at (209) 577-5232.

    This page was updated on: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:57:49 PM

          Beginner's Guide
          New Commercial Projects
          Tenant Improvements


    Related Links & Resources

      Offsite Link = Link leaves DevCenter

    Information provided through the Development Center is for general reference and may not apply to your project,
    please call (209) 577-5232 for more information.