City Home : Development Center Home : Permits   ::  View Print-Friendly Page   ::  Submit Feedback

Development Permits : Demolition Permits

Dept/Div. Contact:  Building Safety - (209) 577-5232


Description:  Demolition permits are required for the demolition of all buildings and structures in the city. There are several guidelines that must be followed before the demolition of the building may commence.

Examples: The City requires permits for the demolition of all buildings to insure that the safety of the entire community is maintained.  Demolition permits require certain procedures such as capping sewer lines properly and making sure that surrounding structures will not be harmed during the demolition.


Obtain Necessary Clearance

Prior to submitting an application to the City, you must obtain clearance from the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District (SJVAPCD).

Where to submit application:

San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District
4230 Kiernan Avenue
Modesto, CA 95356
(209) 557-6400

Submit an Application

Once you have obtained clearance from SJVAPCD, you will need to get a demolition permit. 

In order to get a demolition permit, you will need to submit an application to the Building Safety Division.

Where to submit application:

Building Safety
1010 Tenth Street, 3rd Floor   [Directions]
(209) 577-5232

What to include:

  • 1 building permit application
  • Evidence of insurance
  • Verification of utility disconnections 
  • Clearance from the San Joaquin Air Pollution District (SJAPD)
  • Verification of appropriate bonds

Information/Forms: (#PER4)

Pay Fees

Once your plans are approved,  you will need to pay for any review costs, permits or other fees that may apply to your project. 

Where to go:

Building Safety
1010 Tenth Street, 3rd Floor   [Directions]
(209) 577-5232

How Much:

Please visit our 'Fees' page for current fees

Get Permits

At the time you pay your fees, the Building Safety Division will issue the required permits for your project.

Related Forms & Handouts

These documents are provided in PDF Format. You must have a PDF viewer in order to open these documents. Click here for the free Adobe Acrobat viewer.


Have Questions?

Contact the Building Safety Division at (209) 577-5232.

This page was updated on: Sunday, January 27, 2008 7:48:51 PM



      Conditional Use Permits
      Sign Permits
      General Permits
      Mobile Homes
      Permit Renewals
      Permit Exemptions

Related Links & Resources

  Offsite Link = Link leaves DevCenter

Information provided through the Development Center is for general reference and may not apply to your project,
please call (209) 577-5232 for more information.