Development Permits : Permit Exemptions
Dept/Div. Contact: Building Safety -
Description: Most projects require permits
before the start of construction. However, work
which is cosmetic, (such as painting, replacing
floor coverings, trim work, etc.), does not require
Examples: The following is a list of
items that do not require permits:
- One-story detached accessory structures less than 120
square feet of floor area.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall
on a dwelling unit, when not projecting more
than 54 inches.
- Fences less than six (6) feet high. (Setbacks
- Retaining walls less than 4 feet high with
no surcharge (height is measured from the bottom
of the footing to the top of the wall).
- Platforms, walks and driveways not more than
30 inches above grade and not over any basement
or story below.
Note: For driveway aprons and approaches
and for repair of public sidewalks, contact the
Public Works Department for requirements. The
phone number for Public Works is (209) 571-5569.
- Movable cases, counters and partitions not
over 5 feet 9 inches high
- Painting, papering & similar finish work.
For more information, please contact our Building
Development Services Division at
This page was updated on: Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:48:51 PM
Conditional Use Permits
= Link leaves DevCenter