City Home : Development Center Home : Permits   ::  View Print-Friendly Page   ::  Submit Feedback

Development Permits : Grading Permits

Dept/Div. Contact:  Public Works (209) 571-5569

·  ·  ·

Description:  A grading permit is required on all new developments prior to grading or dicing. A Developer may seek a grading permit for grading prior to the approval of the improvement plans. Development Services must approve the grading plan prior to issuing a permit.

Examples: A grading permit is necessary prior to performing most grading operations. Some activities that require a grading permit include:  Excavation or “cut”, fill, clearing or grubbing, stockpiling.

PLEASE NOTE:  For developments one half acre or greater, a Notice of Intent (NOI) application will need to be filed with the state.  For development one acre or greater, a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan must also be submitted.

REQUIREMENTS: Modesto Municipal Code 5-10.301 [View MMC]


Determine Special Requirements

Certain projects will have special requirements and need specific actions before submitting building plans, e.g. along Dry Creek, the Tuolumne River or other sensitive areas.

Who to Contact:

Public Works at (209) 571-5569

Submit Civil/Grading Plans

Civil and Grading Plans are reviewed to assure that construction meets basic life safety requirements and City of Modesto standards. Depending upon the type of project, and the complexity of construction, our staff will examine your plans for conformance to these requirements.

Where to submit plans:

Public Works Development Services
1010 Tenth Street, 4th Floor [Directions]
(209) 571-5569

What to include:

  • 3 sets of complete civil engineering plans
  • 1 copy of the Notice of Intent (NOI) from the State of California
  • 1 copy of the Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan
  • Engineer estimates

NOTE:  For specific requirements, please see the City of Modesto Municipal Code (MMC) 5-10.303 [View MMC] & Municipal Code
5-10.304 [View MMC].

Pay Fees

Once your plans are approved, you will need to pay for any plan review costs, permits or other fees that may apply to your project. 

Where to go:

Public Works Development Services
1010 Tenth Street, 4th Floor
(209) 571-5569

How Much:

Please visit our 'Fees' page for current fees

Get Permits

When your plans are approved and at the time of paying your fees, the Development Services Division will issue the required permits for your project.

Related Forms & Handouts

These documents are provided in PDF Format. You must have a PDF viewer in order to open these documents. Click here for the free Adobe Acrobat viewer.


    Have Questions?

    Contact the Public Works Department at (209) 571-5569

    This page was updated on: Monday, November 28, 2005 5:03:47 PM



          Conditional Use Permits
          Sign Permits
          General Permits
          Mobile Homes
          Permit Renewals
          Permit Exemptions

    Related Links & Resources

      Offsite Link = Link leaves DevCenter

    Information provided through the Development Center is for general reference and may not apply to your project,
    please call (209) 577-5232 for more information.