Located 34 miles north of Modesto, on the Stockton Deepwater Ship Channel, 75 nautical miles (120 km) due east of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Port of Stockton owns and operates a diversified and major transportation center that encompasses a 2000-acre (809 hectares) operating area.
About the Channel
- Berthing space for 17 vessels,
- 1.1 million square feet (102,000 sq. meters) of dockside transit sheds and shipside rail trackage,
- 7.7 million square feet (715,000 sq. meters) of warehousing (dry bulk, general cargo and steel)
- Each warehouse is served by rail.
- Average depth of 37 feet (11 meters) at average low tide (35 feet MLLW), and an average depth at high tide of 40 feet (12 meters) - PANAMAX.
- Vessels in the 45,000 to 55,000 ton class, and maximum 60,000 ton class (for certain wide-beam vessels) can use the channel fully loaded.
- Up to 80,000 ton class vessels can transit the channel partially loaded.
- There is no width restriction of vessels, and ships up to 900 feet (275 meters) in length can navigate the Stockton Ship Channel.
Location & Transportation
- The Port is one-mile from Interstate 5, and all interconnecting major highway systems.
- Rail service is provided by two transcontinental railroads, Union Pacific and the Burlington Northern Santa Fe.
Three traveling, multi-purpose, 30-ton Bridge Cranes - one on Dock No. 3/4 and two on Dock No. 10\11. (dry bulk cargoes, containers and steel products
Equipped with 15-cubic yard grabs and container frames.
Both facilities can handle cargo from vessels direct to truck, rail (one of two loop railroad tracks serves Dock 10\11), dockside storage and by conveyor.
Fleet of 30,000 to 60,000 lb. fork lift trucks, slings, spreader bars, coil rams, front-end loaders, hoppers and conveyor belts and other equipment are maintained for handling and storing steel products, other general cargoes and bulk materials.
The Port also offers stevedoring services
Mobile truck cranes
Bulk loading towers used to load materials such as coal, ores, clay and sulfur
The Port is well-suited and situated to handle heavy steel and project cargoes with its excellent overland transportation connections. With over 30 acres (12 hectares) of paved surfaces, they can allow easy assembly and pre-staging of this type of cargo.
The Port of Stockton's staff welcome your interest and invite your inquiries concerning the Port's services and facilities. Please contact the Port directly at(800) 344-3213.