Javascript not enabled!

Risk Management

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I file a claim for damages against the city?

If you believe that the city is responsible for damages to you or your property, you must file a written claim within six months of the incident in most cases. In order to meet legal requirements you must supply specific information. To assist you in meeting those requirements, the city has prepared a claim form for your use. Claim forms are available from the City Clerk's Office or the Risk Management Division. Completed claims should be mailed or hand delivered to the City Clerk's Office along with copies of invoices, receipts or pictures documenting your damages.

Claim Form

What happens when I do file a claim?

A copy of your claim is sent to the Risk Management Division. This Division is responsible for investigating and settling your claim. The claims adjuster will investigate your claim and determine if the city is legally responsible for your damages and, if so, for how much. Generally, the city will only pay for damages when it can be shown that the city was negligent in its operations. You will receive written notice of action taken on your claim within 45 days after it was filed.

Why doesn't the city pay for damages caused by falling limbs from city trees?

The Urban Forestry Division has established an excellent maintenance and pruning program for city trees. The courts have consistently ruled that this program shows that the city provides reasonable care. Consequently, when tree limbs do fall it is considered an Act of Nature and the city is not responsible.

Additional information may be addressed to:

City of Modesto Risk Management Division
Attn:Beverly Jensen, Interim Risk Manager
PO Box 642
Modesto, California 95353
1010 10th Street
Modesto, California 95353

Download Adobe Reader