Class Number: 102
Title: Communication Skills
OVERVIEW: The purpose of this course is to learn communication styles, methods
and how to manage the communication process to foster and nurture business relationships.
LENGTH OF COURSE: 2 hours
TARGET AUDIENCE: All Employees
FREQUENCY OF TRAINING: Taught 2 times per year
METHOD OF DELIVERY: Lecture
TRAINING GOAL: To understand the advantages of developing effective communication
skills and common business communication problems.
- Formal and informal communication networks and how they function within an organization.
- The elements of effective communication such as synergy, rapport, listening and understanding,
being understood, timing and directness, and appropriate nonverbal cues.
- The inevitability of criticism and conflict and how to manage both when they do occur.
- How to use tact and diplomacy when handling all situations, including intercultural communications.
- The characteristics of an effective message, how to select the appropriate communication tool for
creating and delivering the message, and the process for using each tool most effectively.
|1. Get student list for Training Division
||4. Review curriculum
|2. Receive PowerPoint presentation
||5. Review PowerPoint presentation
|3. Print Handouts
||6. Rehearse for class
INSTRUCTOR TO STUDENT RATIO:
- 10-15 students – 1 instructor
- 15-20 students – 2 instructors
RESOURCES AND MATERIALS REQUIRED:
- PowerPoint presentation
- Curriculum Handouts (PowerPoint)
- Colored pens at each table
- 3 sheets white paper at each table (for “Triangle” exercise)
- Lined paper or recycled paper for 1st group exercise
- Colored pens/marker for flipcharts
- “Big” DVD (optional) chapter 11 scene covers communications, listening,
ASSESSEMENT: Assessment of this class will be accomplished through a Class Evaluation Sheet. The
Training Committee will review all class evaluation sheets on a quarterly basis to specifically identify strength
and weakness in both course content and instructor delivery and take appropriate action(s) to continuously improve
content or instructor delivery respectively.
May 12, 2008
Return to Course Listing