For Modesto Fire Department employment, applicants must obtain or possess a current Candidate Physical
Ability Test (CPAT) card of completion issued by the California Fire Fighter Joint Apprenticeship Committee
(CFFJAC) by the time of scheduled oral interview AND at the time of Job offer. Visit
www.CPATonline.org for test times
and schedule. The City of Modesto will NOT be conducting a Physical Ability Test locally.
If you are serious about becoming a firefighter, you might want to tailor your weight regimen to help
you pass a firefighting physical ability test. The Candidate Physical Ability Test, administered by CFFJAC,
measures the capabilities of firefighting recruits along eight job-specific areas.
- Stair Climb – in full protective clothing
- Hose Drag – maneuvering around obstacles
- Equipment Carry – moving power tools to and from an emergency scene
- Ladder Raise and Extension – from ground ladder to roof or window
- Forcible Entry – breaking through a locked door or knocking down a wall
- Search – searching for a victim in limited visibility
- Rescue – removing a person from a scene
- Ceiling Breach and Pull – bringing down a ceiling
A good way to determine whether your current fitness regime will help you pass the test would be to
talk to a firefighter, and ask what works for them!
to learn more about the CPAT.