Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get a copy of a police report?
- Come to the main police station at 600 Tenth Street, Monday and Tuesday 8AM-5PM or Wednesday and Thursday 8AM-6PM. You must fill out a request form with your name, address, phone number and reason for requesting the information. You must have a photo I.D. The cost of a report is $.10 for each page plus tax. Some reports may be released immediately, while others require supervisor or Juvenile Court approval.
These reports may take up to ten days for approval before they can be released. If you are a defendant in the case, you will be required to complete a written request for information. This information will be released in accordance with the Public Records Act. To request a copy of a police report, print out a request, fill it out and send it, with a check or money order, to:
600 10th Street, Modesto, CA 95354
For more information on police report releases or to find out how many pages are in your report, call (209) 572-9580.
Traffic collision reports take at least five working days to be available for release. If there are injuries or a fatality, this can be much longer.
For more information on traffic collision reports, call (209) 572-9592.
- How do I get a vehicle release?
- If your car was towed/stored for 30 days due to driving on a suspended license:
If your car is eligible for release:
Come to the main lobby and fill out a Request for 30-Day Hearing form. You are entitled to a hearing within 48 working hours. The hearing officer will review your case and, under certain guidelines, may release the vehicle early. If the storage is sustained, you will be required to wait the full thirty days to obtain a release. For further information, you may call the hearing officer at 342-6119 during regular business.
Come to the main lobby during regular business hours and bring the following: a licensed driver, proof of ownership, and $160.00 in cash.
- Do you do fingerprinting?
- We do fingerprinting for employment purposes only Monday through Wednesday between the hours of 8AM and 1PM. The cost is $7.00 per card. Fingerprint card must be provided by the person wishing to be fingerprinted.
LiveScan fingerprinting is available, by appointment only, at 600 10th Street. You must have photo ID and fingerprint form from employer. For any questions, call 572-9659.
- How do I obtain a bicycle license?
- You can obtain a bike license at the Modesto Police Department on Monday-Tuesday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. or Wednesday-Thursday between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. The fee is $3.00.
- Where is the court house?
- The courthouse is located at 800 Eleventh Street.
- Where do I pay parking tickets?
- Parking tickets are paid at the City Finance Department, 1010 10th St, 2nd floor, Suite 2100, Modesto.
- Where is traffic court?
- Traffic Court is held at 2260 Floyd Avenue (just east of Oakdale Road).
- What is the non-emergency number?
- The non-emergency number for an officer to respond is 209-552-2470.
To file a report that does not need police response (missing persons, stolen vehicles, petty theft, etc.), call the Telephone Reporting Unit at 209-572-9573 or 209-572-9574. Or go to our main page and click on the file a police report icon.
For general information or to contact an officer, call the business office at 209-572-9500.
- How can I find out if I have a warrant?
- Modesto Police Department policy prohibits giving this information over the telephone. You may come into the police station in person and bring a photo I.D. Of course, you are then subject to arrest if you have an active warrant. You may also contact the Court Clerk's Office at 800 Eleventh Street.
- How do I contest a parking ticket?
- You will need to complete an Informal Review Form and email it along with any attachments you would like included for review to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person to the City Finance Department at 1010 10th St, 2nd floor, Suite 2100 or by mail to City of Modesto, P.O. Box 3063, Modesto CA 95353. The completed Request for Informal Review form must be submitted within 21 calendar days from the date the ticket was issued. If you have any questions, please call 209-571-5140 Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Back to Top
- How do I become a volunteer?
- The Modesto Police VIPS (Volunteers in Police Service) offer three programs: Reserves, Explorers, and Police Volunteer. You may request an application by stopping by 600 Tenth Street, or call 209-572-9513 or 209-342-9164 for an application and/or further information.
- How do I gain admittance into the Police Academy?
- You will need to take a pre-test, usually given quarterly. Police Departments sometimes pay to have trainees put through the academy but you can also pay your own way through.
- How do I apply for a position as a Police Officer?
- Contact City of Modesto Personnel Division at City Hall, 1010 Tenth Street or check out our Career Opportunities webpage.
- What are the qualifications for a Reserve Officer?
- All applicants must have completed (or be currently enrolled in) the Level II Course, Level I Course, or a basic Police Academy. If the minimum course requirement has not been completed, the application will not be accepted.
For further information, check out the Careers Opportunities webpage.
Applicants must be a minimum of 21 years of age.
Must be a U.S. citizen or in the process of applying for citizenship.
Must meet physical requirements of the job established by the department.
Back to Top
- How can I contact an officer for a report or follow-up to an investigation?
- You may leave a message for any officer to contact you by calling our main switchboard at (209) 572-9500 and asking for that officer's voice mail.