Modesto Police Department
Media Relations Unit
Office of the Chief of Police
Author: Heather Graves
Modesto, CA – Modesto Police Department would like your little ones to have a safe and happy Halloween. Preparing your ghosts and ghouls before they start on their trick-or-treat trail is key to keeping them safe. Here are some safety tips your goblins can use to ensure their Halloween is a treat.
- Trick-or-treat only with an adult or in a group.
- Stay on streets that are well-lit.
- Stick to a neighborhood you know and to the houses you are familiar with.
- Do not go inside anyone’s home. Stay on the porch at all times.
- If it’s dark outside, make sure to use a flashlight so you can see AND be seen by others.
- Wear light colors or add reflective tape to your costume.
- Avoid wearing a mask to ensure you can see everything going on around you.
- Stay on sidewalks. Avoid alleys, backyards and parks.
- Cross only at street corners. Never cross between parked cars or diagonally across an intersection.
- Keep a safe distance from moving vehicles.
- Do not accept rides from strangers.
- Wait to eat any treats until an adult inspects them.
- Throw away any homemade or unwrapped goodies.
If you have any information regarding criminal activity please call Crime Stoppers at (209) 521-4636. Callers to Crime Stoppers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a cash reward. Tipsters can also text information to Crime Stoppers by sending a text message to 274637. Just type “TIP704” along with your message.
See what crime may be occurring in your neighborhood. Visit us at:
www.modestopolice.com or Crimemapping.com and select “Modesto Police”