The Parks, Recreation and Neighborhoods Department and
the City of Modesto’s Poets’ Corner Committee announce
the 34th Annual Poets’ Corner Contest. The submission
period for this contest is now open.
The contest is open to all Stanislaus County residents
and offers two categories for poetry entries:
• General: Poetry on any subject, in any style,
including rhymed, unrhymed, free verse, sonnet, haiku
(group of three accepted), ballad, etc.
• 2015 Special: Conservation and transformation: poetry
celebrating earth, water, wind, or fire.
Entries are limited to the following:
• Two poems per person.
• Unpublished poems.
• May not exceed 32 lines.
• All Entries must be postmarked by Wednesday, March 11,
• Submit three copies of each poem with separate entry
form for each different poem (if
submitting two poems).
• Names should only be written on entry forms and not on
• NO plagiarism or offensive language.
Entry forms and complete contest rules may
be downloaded from the City of Modesto’s website or can
be picked up at the following locations:
• Parks, Recreation and Neighborhoods Department, Office
– 1010 Tenth Street, Suite 4400
• McHenry Museum, 1402 I Street
• McHenry Mansion Visitors Center and Gift Shop - 924
• Stanislaus County Library – 1500 I Street
• Maddux Youth Center, 615 Sierra Drive
• King Kennedy Memorial Center, 601 S. Martin Luther
Contest winners will be notified by mail and the winning
poems will be read at the Poets’ Corner Contest
Reception to be held on Sunday, May 17, 2015, at 1:00
p.m. on the Main Floor at the McHenry Museum, 1402 I
Winning poems will be printed in a booklet that will be
placed in the Poets’ Bookshelf, which contains published
works by local writers and will be kept at the McHenry
Museum. Each winner will receive a copy of the booklet.
|Entry Form and Rules (PDF)
For more information, contact Laura Mesa at (209)