Black Can/Garbage & Trash
The City of Modesto uses a "Two Can" garbage program.
The black can is for household garbage and non-organic
materials such as plastic packaging, diapers, animal
waste, etc. The material is sent to a
Waste-to-Energy facility and is burned to make
Download the Recycling Guide and learn about all of
Modesto's garbage and recycling programs in one stop!
|Recycling Guide (PDF)
|Disposal Option Chart (PDF)
|Black vs. Green (PDF)
The Black Cans
- Household garbage or trash
- Plastic bags or packaging
- Polystyrene items
- Bottles and cans*
- Animal waste or litter box debris
- Flocked or treated holiday trees
- Wood or lumber (small pieces only)
The Black Cant's
- Yard waste of any kind
- Hazardous, toxic or e-waste
- Furniture or large items
- Dirt, rocks, concrete or asphalt
- Garbage cans over 100 lbs.
- Overfull cans - lids must be completely closed
*Please recycle CRV bottles and cans at a local
Residents must place their garbage cans out by 6 a.m. on their collection day. Ensure
that your cans are collected quickly by following these tips.
- Place cans on the asphalt portions of the street, next to the curb. Do not block the
sidewalk. If you have alley pickup, put both cans in the alley.
- Cans must be placed at least three feet from any obstruction such as mailboxes, cars, poles, etc.
Please leave at least one foot of space between the cans.
- Place cans with the handle toward your home.
- The lids must be closed. No excess garbage will be collected without prior arrangements
with your service provider.
- Neither can may exceed 100 pounds.
- Cans will be serviced on the same day, but not necessarily at the same time.
For more information on garbage or recycling programs, contact the Solid Waste Division at (209) 577-5494 or
Back to the top
Return to Garbage & Recycling Page