The State Water Resource Control Board is mandating a 36% reduction in water use.
The City is taking the necessary steps to meet this goal. On April 28, 2015, the
Utilities Department drafted and recommended to Council to approve and adopt a revised
Drought Contingency Plan and enter Stage II. It was approved and on May 1, 2015 it went
into effect. On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 the City Council approved enacting Stage
II-A requirements that restrict outdoor watering to one day a week effective
December 1, 2015.
Stage II-A of the Drought Contingency Plan requires that outdoor watering be restricted
to one day a week. Odd-numbered addresses should water on Sundays only. Even-numbered
addresses should water on Saturdays only. Outdoor watering is prohibited on Saturday &
Sunday from 9:00am-7:00pm. No outdoor water use is allowed between Monday and Friday.
Taking the steps below and working together, the City of Modesto can meet its goal and
Save Water! We will continue to monitor the Drought and post any relevant information
online. Thank you for doing your part to Save Water!
Visit our videos page for our new Audit Video by clicking here.
Water Wise Regulations - English [View] Spanish [View]
Additional State rebate offers available.
DROUGHT STAGE II-A
This conservation phase criteria has been set due to extended drought,
and lower than average precipitation and runoff.
Stage II-A of the City of Modesto Drought Contingency
Plan applies to all City of Modesto water users including residential,
commercial, industrial, institutional, and private wells.
30% - 40% reduction in total water production from baseline
*Odd-numbered addresses water (Sunday)
*Even-numbered addresses water (Saturday)
Outdoor water use prohibited Saturday and Sunday from 9am-7pm
No outdoor water use on Monday through Friday.
- Car washing is subject to above-cited limitations with use of a positive shutoff nozzle.
- Hosing concrete areas, building exteriors, etc.., is prohibited except for health/safety concerns and only with use of a positive shutoff nozzle.
- Water leaks, once identified by home owner, must be repaired within 24 hours.
- Restaurants and food service establishments are prohibited from serving water except upon request.
- New landscaping must comply with existing & future landscape ordinances.
- Mandatory retrofit of low flow showerheads in homes must be present when building/remodeling occurs.
- Water meter installation must be present on all new single-family homes.
- No turf or ornamental landscape irrigation is allowed during (and 48 hours following) measureable rain.
- Operators of hotels and motels must provide guests with the option of choosing not to have towels and linens
laundered daily and prominently display notice of this option.
For more information, you can contact the water
conservation program at 209-342-2246 or navigate through