Do you have a digital camera and enjoy taking photographs? Here's your chance to see your photos displayed on one of several community websites hosted by City of Modesto. We are looking for photos that can communicate and fully represent the many wonderful qualities of our community. Our websites receive visitors from all over the world, and we are looking for photos which can convey all that Modesto offers to its residents and visitors in a manner better than words.
Here's your chance to share your skills with friends and family, neighbors down the street and visitors across the globe! Photos may be used for feature highlights, image galleries, backgrounds and other purposes. In addition, some photos may be used for print materials such as publicity and public information notices.
What kind of photos we're looking for
Only digital photos taken within Modesto city limits are eligible. We may not be able to use all the photos. Images will not be returned, so please be sure to keep a copy for yourself.
Subject matter might include:
- Natural Modesto - landscape scenes, people enjoying the parks and natural environment of this community.
- People of Modesto - all ages, including backgrounds or facilities that make the photo stand up and say "This is Modesto"!
- Special events and people enjoying them - such as community or recreation programs, senior center programs, etc. - both indoor and outdoor.
Variety is what makes a website interesting. We are looking for photos that are very close to the image subject as well as far away, and in different shapes and sizes. We also want to convey the multiple facets of Modesto; both its natural and constructed environments, and how residents interact with them.
Things to Remember
By e-mailing photos to us, you are giving us permission to use them on City websites or printed materials at any time, free of charge. We're sorry we can't pay you for the photos, but we will list your name on our photo credits page.
We reserve the right to crop photos to fit on particular pages of the website. Photos need to be in focus and not have any
strong colorcast, such as a very strong yellow coloring over the whole area. This often happens with indoor shots. You can lighten
or darken shots, but stay away from a lot of special effects through photo editing programs - we want fairly straightforward "natural" photos.
Images, especially email submissions, should not exceed 15MB. Our systems may not deliver email messages larger than 15MB.
Split up your submissions if necessary.
Please avoid close-ups where children are recognizable. You'll need to complete a photo release form if
there is anyone in the photo who might be recognized. We do want pictures of people enjoying all that Modesto has to
offer, so we appreciate the extra effort of filling out the consent form(s), as required (see below).
How do I send in my photos?
Send e-mail photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Images, especially email submissions, should not exceed 15MB. Our systems may not deliver email
messages larger than 15MB. You may need to send photos in separate e-mails or resize them smaller
if you have difficulty submitting due to file size.
Both professional and amateur photographers are eligible to submit photos. You need not be a Modesto resident to submit photos.
City employees are welcome to submit photos that portray their work activities, special events, construction activities, etc.
Those residents under age 18 should ask a parent or guardian to submit their photos for them, including the name and age of the actual photographer.
If you would prefer to deliver your photos on storage media, it can be dropped off at City Hall or mailed to:
Photo Gallery c/o
City of Modesto Information Technology
P.O. Box 642
Modesto, CA 95354
There will be no deadlines as new photos will be received continuously throughout the year. It would be helpful if photographers could submit photos that coincide with the time of year they are submitting the photo. If not, we will happily reserve the photo until the appropriate season arrives.
What information should I include with the photos?
- Please include your name, address, attest you are not a minor (must be age 18 or over to submit photos), and daytime phone number.
- Please include captions or brief explanatory phrase describing the photo.
- Follow up the e-mail submission by mailing a signed consent form if applicable.
The City of Modesto Photo Consent Form is available upon request. Situations requiring a signed consent form include:
- If the photo is of a child and the face is recognizable, a release IS needed. A parent or guardian needs to fill out the consent form.
- If it is a photo of an adult, the face is recognizable, and the photo was taken at a non-public event, such as someone walking down the street, a release IS needed.
- It is a photo of an adult, the face is recognizable, and the photo was taken at a public event (like a parade), NO release is needed.
- If the face is not recognizable (far off or several people in a group, with no particular face as a central focus) NO release is needed.
We'll let you know we have received your photos. We hope to see your images on the website soon. Thanks for your help in making our community websites more interesting and attractive for our residents and visitors.
Any questions? Please send information request to email@example.com and we will send you an answer as soon as possible.