Drip Irrigation Rebate Program
City of Modesto water customers may be eligible for a rebate when they convert their existing traditional sprinkler system to drip irrigation. The rebate amount may not exceed $1,000 per City of Modesto water account. Funding is limited and applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. The City reserves the right to terminate this program at any time and for any reason.
Drip Irrigation eliminates over-watering problems by applying water only where it is needed, with less run-off and less evaporation. The uniform application of water from Drip Irrigation systems can achieve high water savings.
How to Apply
- Obtain an application using one of the following methods:
- If you are not applying online, send completed paper application and the original sales receipt to one of the following:
City of Modesto Attention:Water Division - Rebate Program
PO Box 642
Modesto CA 95353
- Fax: 209-342-4568
A City of Modesto representative may contact you to schedule a brief appointment to verify the installation of the drip irrigation.
Program Guidelines and Participation Section
- City of Modesto customers who pay a water utility bill to the City of Modesto.
- Customer accounts that are in good standing.
- Tenants who provide written approval from the property owner or property manager.
- Program applies to purchases between 7/1/20 thru 6/30/21.
- A pre-inspection will be scheduled once the application has been received.
- After approval of pre-inspection, you will have 60 days to complete the conversion of your existing system.
- Once completed, contact City of Modesto Water Conservation to schedule the post-inspection.
- An itemized dated sales receipt is required at the post-inspection.
- If not approved at inspection, you have 30 days to make corrections and to schedule a final inspection.
Drip Irrigation systems (qualifying for rebate)
If converting from existing traditional irrigation system:
- Customer must replace the entire existing zone to Drip Irrigation.
- Valves must be fully operational and not leaking.
- The converted area must be maintained and kept in a healthy condition.
If converting from manual watering of an existing garden hose:
- Customer must install an anti-siphon device on the hose faucet.
- Customer must, at minimum, install a mechanical timer that will shut itself off after a set period of time.
New Irrigation system/method must be rated as follows:
- The drip system must be installed per manufacturer’s directions, including filter, plus regulator, if recommended.
- The system may be installed on the surface or below the surface.
- Drip emitters, including multi-outlet drippers and bubblers, must have a flow rate of 0.25 gallons per minute (15 gallons per hour) or less.
- Existing Drip Irrigation, drip irrigation installation costs, new construction, accessories, and taxes do not qualify.
- Rebate checks will be mailed within 8 weeks after completing the rebate process.
- Rebate amount cannot exceed the purchase price of the products used in the conversion.
- Rebates are limited to $1,000 per utility billing account per fiscal year (July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021).
Application and Rebate Approval or Denial
- On-site compliance verification is required.
- The original itemized dated sales receipt for the products used in the conversion is required (copies not accepted), Scanned original will be accepted via online submittal only.
- Incomplete, incorrect or unsigned applications cannot be processed. We will contact you with any discrepancies and may require you to submit a new application.
- Customer must fulfill all program guidelines to be eligible for rebates.
- The Rebate Program is not responsible for materials lost by mail.
- Submission or possession of a rebate application does not guarantee receiving a rebate.
- Rebates are processed on a first come, first served basis.
- Funding for this rebate program is limited to available resources.
- Rebate amounts are subject to change without notification.
- This program shall at all times be subject to change or termination without prior notice.