Rain Barrel Rebate Program
Effective July 1, 2018
City of Modesto water customers may be eligible for a rebate when they purchase and install an approved Rain Barrel. Funding is limited and applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. The City reserves the right to terminate this program at any time and for any reason.
Customers are eligible for a $50.00 rebate for each 50 gallon Rain Barrel for a maximum of 2 barrels.
Rain barrels conserve water and help prevent pollution. The rain barrels provide a free water source for outdoor watering and minimize the amount of water going into storm drains and ponding basins.
How to Apply
- Obtain an application using one of the following methods:
- If you are not applying online, send completed paper application and the original sales receipt to one of the following:
City of Modesto Attention:Water Division - Rebate Program
PO Box 642
Modesto CA 95353
- Fax: 209-577-4983
A City of Modesto representative will contact you to schedule a brief appointment to verify your the proper installation and approve the rain barrel.
Program Guidelines and Participation Section
- City of Modesto customers who pay a water utility bill to the City of Modesto
- Customer accounts that are in good standing
- Tenants must provide written approval from the property owner or property manager
- Program applies to each Rain Barrel purchased between July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019.
- Rebate application must be submitted within 60 days of sales receipt.
- After application is received and reviewed an inspection may be scheduled.
- If not approved at inspection, you have 30 days to make corrections and schedule a final inspection.
Rain Barrels (qualifying for rebate)
- Homemade barrels do not qualify.
- Provide clear photos of the newly installed Rain Barrel and submit with the application.
- Rebate only applies to above the ground rain capture devices that do not require pumps and/or backflows.
- Rain Barrel must be designed to capture rain and must be connected to a gutter downspout.
- Rain Barrels must be installed within the Modesto City service area and at the location on the application.
- Barrels must be at least 50 gallons in capacity.
- Existing Rain Barrels, barrel installation costs, new construction, accessories, and taxes do not qualify.
- Rebate checks will be mailed within 8 weeks after completing the rebate process.
- Rebate amount cannot exceed the purchase price of the new rain barrels.
- Rebates are limited to 2 barrels per utility billing account per fiscal year (July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019).
Application and Rebate Approval or Denial
- On-site compliance verification is required.
- The original itemized dated sales receipt for the new rain barrels is required (copies not accepted). Scanned original will be accepted via online submittal only.
- Incomplete, incorrect or unsigned applications cannot be processed. We will contact you with any discrepancies and may require you to submit a new application.
- Customer must fulfill all program guidelines to be eligible for rebates.
- The rebate application must be submitted within 60 days of sales receipt.
- The Rebate Program is not responsible for materials lost by mail.
- Submission or possession of a rebate application does not guarantee receiving a rebate.
- Rebates are processed on a first come, first served basis.
- Funding for this rebate program is limited to available resources.
- Rebate amounts are subject to change without notification.
- This program shall at all times be subject to change or termination without prior notice.