The City of Modesto uses a "Two Can" garbage program. The black can is for household garbage and non-organic materials such as plastic packaging, diapers, animal waste, etc. The green can is for organic materials including yard waste, food waste, paper and cardboard products.
The City of Modesto uses a "Two Can" garbage program. The black can is for household garbage and non-organic materials such as plastic packaging, diapers, animal waste, etc. The material is sent to a Waste-to-Energy facility and is burned to make electricity.
The Black Can "Cans"
- Animal waste or litter box debris
- Bottles and cans: Please recycle CRV bottles and cans at a local buy-back center
- Flocked or treated holiday trees
- Household garbage or trash
- Plastic bags or packaging
- Polystyrene items
- Wood or lumber (small pieces only)
The Black Can "Cant's"
- Dirt, rocks, concrete or asphalt
- Furniture or large items
- Garbage cans over 100 lbs.
- Hazardous, toxic or e-waste
- Overfull cans - lids must be completely closed
- Yard waste of any kind
Residents must place their garbage cans out by 6 a.m. on their collection day. Ensure that your cans are collected quickly by following these tips:
- Cans must be placed at least three feet from any obstruction such as mailboxes, cars, poles, etc. Please leave at least one foot of space between the cans.
- Cans will be serviced on the same day, but not necessarily at the same time.
- The lids must be closed. No excess garbage will be collected without prior arrangements with your service provider.
- Neither can may exceed 100 pounds.
- Place cans on the asphalt portions of the street, next to the curb. Do not block the sidewalk. If you have alley pickup, put both cans in the alley.
- Place cans with the handle toward your home.
For more information on garbage or recycling programs, contact the Solid Waste Division at 209-577-5494 or by using our online Contact Us form.
Next to or near curb or gutter.
Never on the sidewalk.
Organic Recycling Container Collection
The green can is for organic material. Organic material is food waste, paper waste, cardboard and small yard waste.
This program has the potential to capture 70% of all waste produced in the average residential household! This organic waste is then converted into compost, utilizing an environmentally friendly recycling process. Please do your part to help the City of Modesto divert as much waste as possible from landfills.
- 100 pound weight limit and the lid must close completely
- Brush, tree limbs less than four feet long and six inches in diameter
- Cardboard and all types of paper (newspaper, junk mail, computer paper, magazines, phone books, paper bags, etc.)
- Food waste, including meat, bones, dairy
- Grass, leaves, and trimmings
- Untreated and non-decorated Christmas trees, cut to fit if necessary
- No dirt, rocks, concrete, or asphalt
- No materials over four feet long or six inches in diameter
- No plastic, metal, glass, or cloth
- No plastic bags or plastic lined bags
- No treated wood or lumber
- No animal waste, including feces or litter
- No household or bathroom trash, diapers, or hazardous waste (light bulbs, batteries, chemicals, paint, etc)
- No flocked, painted, or fireproofed Christmas trees
- Do not overfill to more than 100 pounds or that the lid will not close
The garbage company will only collect containers that contain organic material.
If the garbage company or City of Modesto staff finds contamination in your green can, your can will be tagged with a notice, and you will not receive organic container service until you have removed the contamination and contacted the City.
Making an Inspection Appointment
Please call 209-577-5494 or use our online contact us form if your container has been tagged and you want to schedule an inspection.
Once you have contacted the City to schedule an appointment, we will send out a staff member to inspect the can, ensure it contains only acceptable material, and resume your service.
Fines for Contamination
Contamination or improper use of the organic container is subject to a progressive fine structure with fines beginning at $100. For more information, view the Modesto Municipal Code 5-5.108.