How to Become a Modesto Firefighter
You first must become a firefighter trainee. The hiring process for the position of firefighter trainee involves the following steps, all of which must be completed satisfactorily to be considered for the position.
- Be at least 21 years of age at the time of final filing of application.
- Have a high school diploma or the equivalent.
- Pass a thorough background investigation.
- Pass an oral interview conducted by selection committee with a minimum score of 70%.
- Pass job related physical performance exercises.
- Pass medical examination.
- Pass the written entry level test.
- Possess a current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) card is required at time of application.
- Possess a Firefighter 1 Certificate or graduation from a Firefighter 1 academy certified by the State Fire Marshal's Office orthe completion of 15 semester units of college coursework in Fire Science "major" courses.
- A list of classes including name of school, course title, number of units and date completed must be attached to the application.
- College transcripts will also be required by date of oral board interview.
- Possess a valid California class "C" driver's license. Possession of no less than a Class 2 operator's license is required prior to completion of the 12-month probation.
- Possess a valid E.M.T. certificate at the time of application.
Key Skills & Abilities
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Learn the layout of the City's water main system and street numbering system.
- Pass all required oral, manipulative and written exams for Firefighter Trainee.
- Perform general office and clerical duties in support of assigned activities.
- Perform heavy lifting and physical maneuvering.
- Retain presence of mind in emergency situations.
- Think and act quickly and effectively in emergencies.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions promptly and accurately.