The purpose of the sidewalk vendor permit is to help promote entrepreneurship, while ensuring the protection of the public health, safety, and welfare. The requirements of getting your permit are put in place to make sure the traffic from vehicles and pedestrians in the public right-of-way are not affected, vending does not negatively impact the public safety and to make sure that food vendors are following County public health requirements.
What do I need to do?
2. Pay a $150 filing fee at the City of Modesto Neighborhood Preservation Unit, 1010 Tenth Street, Suite 3100, Modesto, CA 95354. Phone: (209) 577-5250.
3. Apply for a State of California Seller's Permit. Then, provide a copy of the Seller's Permit number, along with a drawing of the stationary vending location to the City of Modesto Neighborhood Preservation Unit, 1010 Tenth Street, Suite 3100, Modesto, CA 95354.
4. Provide a copy of a Government Issued Identification, such as Drivers License or California ID to the City of Modesto Neighborhood Preservation Unit, 1010 Tenth Street, Suite 3100, Modesto, CA 95354.
5. Provide a copy of insurance coverage to the City of Modesto Neighborhood Preservation Unit for review and approval by the Risk Management Department.
6. Food vendors will need to provide the following to the City of Modesto Neighborhood Preservation Unit, and additional fees may apply:
a. A copy of required approvals and permits issued by the Stanislaus County Department of Environmental Resources.
b. A copy of the City of Modesto’s Fire Department inspection clearance (if you are using a heating element).
7. Before obtaining the final Sidewalk Vendor Permit approval, the vendor will need to:
a. Obtain a City of Modesto Business License from the Finance Department.
b. Pay a Business License Tax and a $100 refundable deposit.
Neighborhood Preservation Unit staff will review and process your application with the goal of issuing new permits within two (2) weeks of receiving your application.
Where do I go to get my Permits and Forms?
1-5: City of Modesto Neighborhood Preservation Unit, 1010 10th Street, 3rd floor, suite 3100. Phone: (209) 577-5250.
Step 6a: Stanislaus County Department of Environmental Resources, 3600 Cornucopia Way, Suite C, Modesto, CA 95358. Phone: (209) 525-6700.
Step 6b: Modesto Fire Department, 409 12th Street, Modesto, CA 95354. Phone: (209) 572-9590.
Step 7: City of Modesto Finance Department, 1010 Tenth Street, 2nd Floor, Suite 2100. Phone: (209) 577-5389.
Required Documents and Forms Checklist
These documents must be provided at the time of application:
- Sidewalk Vendor Application
- Supplemental questionnaire
- City of Modesto’s Indemnification, Defense and Hold Harmless Agreement
- State of California Seller’s Permit number issued by California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
- Drawing of your proposed stationary vending location, showing the layout of all proposed kiosks, chairs, or shade devises (not to exceed 5’X7’)
- Copy of your Government issued identification
- Copy of required insurance coverage
- Copy of current City of Modesto Business License upon approval and prior to the issuance of the permit
Renewing your Permit
A permit may be renewed annually for stationary and roaming sidewalk vendors. Renewal applications will be available after November 1st of each year and must be completed by December 15 of the same calendar year. For your renewal application to be considered complete, you must submit your payment of the annual permit fee of $150.00.
Stationary sidewalk vendor permits may be renewed annually for up to four (4) consecutive years before having to apply for a new permit. Any designated stationary location that we have not received payment for by December 15 will be made available for permitting of any future applicant after January 1 of the following year.