Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I contact an officer for a report or follow-up to an investigation?
You may leave a message for any officer to contact you by calling our main switchboard at 209-572-9500 and asking for that officer's voice mail.
- How do I request a Vacation House Check?
The City of Modesto is unable to accept your Vacation House Check request at this time. We will accept your request once the City is fully staffed and the volunteers who assist with this program are available again. Thank you for your patience during this difficult time.
- How do I get a vehicle release?
If your car was towed/stored for 30 days due to driving on a suspended license:
-Come to the main lobby and fill out a Request for 30-Day Hearing form. You are entitled to a hearing within 48 working hours. The hearing officer will review your case and, under certain guidelines, may release the vehicle early. If the storage is sustained, you will be required to wait the full thirty days to obtain a release. For further information, you may call the traffic unit at 209-572-9592 during regular business.
If your car is eligible for release, come to the main lobby during regular business hours with the registered owner, a licensed driver, and current vehicle registration. A vehicle release fee will be charged.
- Do you do fingerprinting?
Modesto Police Department does not provide fingerprinting services to the public. View a list of Live Scan services in the area.
- How do I obtain a bicycle license?
You can obtain a bike license at the Modesto Police Department on Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. The fee is $3. Please call 209-572-9500 for more information.
- Where is the court house?
The courthouse is located at:
800 11th Street
Modesto, CA 95354
- Where do I pay parking tickets?
- Where is traffic court?
Traffic Court is held at 2260 Floyd Avenue (just east of Oakdale Road).
- What is the non-emergency number?
The non-emergency number for an officer to respond is 209-552-2470. To file a report that does not need police response (missing persons, stolen vehicles, petty theft, etc.), call the Telephone Reporting Unit at 209-572-9573 or 209-572-9574. Or go to our main page and click on the file a police report icon.
For general information or to contact an officer, call the business office at 209-572-9500.
- How can I find out if I have a warrant?
Modesto Police Department policy prohibits giving this information over the telephone. You may come into the police station in person and bring a photo I.D. Of course, you are then subject to arrest if you have an active warrant. You may also contact the Court Clerk's Office at:
800 11th Street
Modesto, CA 95354
- How do I contest a parking ticket?
- How do I get a copy of a police report?
To request a copy of a police report, print out a request form, fill it out and send it, with a check or money order, to our mailing address or visit us during normal business hours.
- You must fill out a request form with your name, address, phone number and reason for requesting the information.
- You must have a photo I.D. when picking up requested report.
- The cost of a report is $.10 for each page plus tax.
For more information on police report releases or to find out how many pages are in your report, call 209-572-9580.
Availability of Requested Report
- This information will be released in accordance with the Public Records Act. Some reports may be released immediately, while others require supervisor or Juvenile Court approval. Normal processing time of these requests can take up to ten (10) days for approval before they can be released. If you are a defendant in the case, you will be required to complete a written request for information.
- Traffic collision reports take at least five (5) working days to be available for release. If there are injuries or a fatality, this can be much longer.
For more information on traffic collision reports, call 209-572-9592.
600 10th Street, Modesto, CA 95354
Normal Business Hours
Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- How do I become a volunteer?
The Modesto Police Department offers three volunteer programs:
- Police Volunteer
You may request an application by stopping by 600 10th Street, or call 209-572-9513 or 209-342-9164 for an application and/or further information.
- How do I gain admittance into the Police Academy?
You will need to take a pre-test, usually given quarterly. Police Departments sometimes pay to have trainees put through the academy but you can also pay your own way through. Please call 209-572-9500 for more information.
- How do I apply for a position as a Police Officer?
Contact City of Modesto Personnel Division at City Hall, 1010 10th Street, or check out our
- What are the qualifications for a Reserve Officer?
All applicants must have completed (or be currently enrolled in) the Level II Course, Level I Course, or a basic Police Academy. If the minimum course requirement has not been completed, the application will not be accepted:
-Applicants must be a minimum of 21 years of age
-Must be a U.S. citizen or in the process of applying for citizenship
-Must meet physical requirements of the job established by the department
For further information, check out the