The Youth Commission is comprised of nine full time students living within the boundaries of the City of Modesto, from public or private schools. The Youth Commission is established to act in an advisory capacity to the City Council and the City Manager in matters pertaining to youth, and to initiatives, policies and programs impacting the youth in the City of Modesto.
The meetings are held on the 3rd Thursday of every month, from October to May, at 4:00 PM held via Zoom.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval. View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes.
|Kayvon Banankha||2022 to 2023|
|Lolamaya Evans||2022 to 2023|
|Jossfin Garza||2022 to 2023|
|Abigail Manzano||2022 to 2023|
|Hamza Modan||2022 to 2023|
|Carissa Nielson||2022 to 2023|
|Aheli Patel||2022 to 2023|
|Ameena Pierstorff||2022 to 2023|
|Noah Wong||2022 to 2023|
There are currently no vacancies for this commission. If you wish to participate in this commission, please submit an application for the Youth Commission and you will be contacted should a vacancy occur.
- Act in an advisory capacity to the City Council and the City Manager in matters pertaining to youth, and to initiatives, policies and programs impacting the youth in the City of Modesto;
- Formulate and recommend programs to the City Council relating to the concerns and needs of youth in the City of Modesto;
- Promote engagement from nonprofits, neighborhood associations, and other groups to promote and provide better youth services and increase opportunities for youth engagement in the community;
- Work with other youth organizations in the City of Modesto and other communities to share ideas and strategies for increased youth engagement;
- Act in an advisory capacity to other City commissions in matters of youth-related concerns and programs;
- Receive reports from City staff on ongoing efforts and strategies that have been established by the city related to youth activities.
- Work with City staff to promote better youth services and to find solutions to concerns involving youth in the City of Modesto.
The mission of the Modesto Youth Commission is to provide Modesto young people from diverse walks of life with the opportunity to participate actively in the governmental process, to provide advice and input on matters impacting youth, and act as liaison between the youth of Modesto and the City Council on matters affecting the quality of life for all youth.
- To expand civic participation opportunities to diverse youth to share ideas, recommendations, and youth perspective in the development of City of Modesto programs and policies that affect their lives.
- To educate youth through guidance and meaningful participation in the processes of civic engagement including the procedures for advocacy, collaboration, communicating the needs of youth, decision-making, leadership, and planning.
In order to be considered as a Youth Commissioner applicants must:
- Be enrolled full-time in high school
- Live within the boundaries of Modesto
- Complete the online application for Boards, Commissions & Committees.
Applications received after the cut off deadline will stay on file for the remainder of the school year if a commissioner spot becomes available.
All applications will be reviewed by the Appointments Committee and Parks, Recreation & Neighborhoods Department staff for completeness, eligibility and recommendations. If eligible for a Commissioner seat, you will be contacted to schedule an in-person interview. If you meet the minimum eligibility criteria, but are not selected to the Youth Commission by the interview panel, you are encouraged and welcome to participate by attending the posted public Youth Commission meetings and participating in Youth Commission committees and projects.