Bulky Item Collection
Curbside Pick Up Service
The City of Modesto offers its residential garbage service customers a convenient way to dispose of large bulky household items using the Bulky Item Collection Program. Each residential garbage service customer may have two pick-ups per calendar year.
How to Participate
Residents must contact their garbage company to set a collection appointment. Items should be placed out the evening before the scheduled collection day. To look up the garbage company that services your home, view the service area map.
Please do not place items out for collection until the evening before your scheduled appointment.
- All items must be placed in the street against the curb
- Do not block sidewalks, fire hydrants, storm drains, garbage cans, etc.
- Dumpster customers are not eligible for this program
- Items must be placed in front of your own home
- No items will be collected in the alley
- Small items must be placed in the black garbage can
Haul it Yourself (Voucher Program)
This program is offered for customers who would like to haul their own bulky items to transfer stations instead of arranging a bulky item pick up at their home. This allows the account holder to bring a truck or trailer load of bulky items no larger than 4ft x 4ft x 8ft to their garbage provider’s transfer station. Residential customers are eligible to use two vouchers per calendar year.
How to Participate
You will need to contact your garbage company to request a voucher. Vouchers will be held at the transfer station and are valid for seven days after issuance.
Acceptable and Unacceptable Items
Below you will find examples of acceptable and unacceptable items that you may dispose of using this program.
- Air Conditioners
- Doors, Ladders
- Exercise Equipment, Bicycles
- Plastic or Fake Christmas Trees
- Large Appliances (all doors must be removed)
- Mattresses, Couches, Chairs
- Patio Furniture, Barbecues (Remove propane tank)
- Tables, Desks
- Toilets, Sinks, Tubs, Hot Tubs
- Water Heaters, Water Softeners
- No Concrete or Asphalt
- No Construction or Demolition Debris, Wood, Yard Waste
- No Dead Animals
- No Hazardous Waste, Chemicals, Toxic Materials
- No Household Garbage
- No Items Associated With Businesses
- No Liquids, Paints, Solvents
- No Plate Glass, TV's, Computer Monitors
- No Tires, Automobile Parts