Community & Economic Development
The objective of our department staff is to ensure that new development achieves a balance between the economic, social, environmental and quality of life goals for the City of Modesto.
Current COVID-19 Information
Current COVID-19 information is available on the Economic Development page.
Division Services and Contact Information During COVID-19 Restrictions
The Community and Economic Development Department is open to the Public by appointment only, effective May 18, 2020.
Please use the Online Appointment Form or call to speak with a Department representative.
Building Safety and Neighborhood Preservation
- Public Access to the Development Center Counter will be available by appointment beginning May 18, 2020.
- To apply for over the counter permits, go to Building Safety and Neighborhood Preservation and click on "Online Services" on the red menu bar to the left.
- To apply for a plan review, please email an application to Permits or call 209-577-5232 extension 1.
- We will continue to provide requested building inspections on a daily basis.
- Code enforcement officers are continuing to respond to complaints received from the community. Call, email or use the GoModesto app for Apple or Android phones.
- Public Access to the Community Development Division will be available by appointment beginning May 18, 2020. Please contact 209-577-5211 or email Housing..
- Business Advisory Services are available by phone or email. Email Margaret James.
- Entertainment Permit counter is closed for walk-in application meetings. Email: Margaret James. For assistance regarding a Special Event, please email Margaret James.
- Updated COVID-19 business information, resource guide, and business impact survey are at the Economic Development page.
Land Development and Engineering
- Public Access to the Land Development Counter will be available by appointment beginning May 18, 2020.
- We will continue to provide permitting and development review services.
- Land Development Engineering is available by email. Please contact Dan England, or Tamorah Bryant
- Public Access to the Planning Counter will be available by appointment only. You can request an appointment online, by phone at 209-577-5267 or by email.
- We are also available to respond to inquiries via email and phone at 209-577-5267. If no one is available, please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Transportation Engineering and Design
Economic Development Overview
Modesto is a great place to live, work and visit, and the business community is both vital and supportive. Businesses that come here stay here and prosper in an excellent regional market.
Modesto's high quality of life, affordability, and "Magic 90 Minutes" location is a winning formula for a growing, diverse business community.
Modesto Economic Indicators Report
Modesto continues to experience steady economic growth creating both employment and development opportunities.
The Economic Indicators report summarizes key economic factors and conditions, including Employment; Retail, Commercial and Industrial Real Estate; Building Permit activity; Household Income and Housing markets; and Government performance.