Community & Economic Development
The objective of our department staff is to ensure that new development achieves a balance between the economic, social, environmental and quality of life goals for the City of Modesto.
As of June 15th, Modesto City Hall has fully reopened in accordance with updated State of California COVID-19 guidelines. Please check updated hours for each Division below.
Building Safety and Neighborhood Preservation
The Building Division is open Monday through Thursday 8:30AM to 4:30PM. Fridays are available for appointments - please use the Online Appointment Form or call to speak with a Department representative.
- To apply for over the counter permits, go to Building Safety and Neighborhood Preservation and click on "Online Services" on the red menu bar to the left.
- To apply for a plan review, please come in during walk in hours or call 209-577-5232 extension 1 to schedule a Friday appointment.
- We provide requested building inspections on a daily basis.
- Code enforcement officers respond to complaints received from the community. Call, email or use the GoModesto app for Apple or Android phones.
- Please contact 209-577-5211 or email Housing.
- Business Advisory Services are available by phone or email. Call Economic Development 209-571-5566.
- Entertainment Permit counter remains closed for walk-in application meetings. Call Economic Development 209-571-5566.
Land Development and Engineering
- Land Development and Engineering (LDE) assists the public with permitting and understanding development codes.
- LDE can help you with permits in the road and City right of way, permits for water and sewer connections to the public utility, and transportaton (Over Sized) permits.
- We provide permitting and development review services by phone, email and video conference. Please make an appointment to set up in-person meeting.
- Please submit your permit application online.
- To reach Land Development Engineering by email, please contact Tamorah Bryant.
The Planning Division is open Monday through Thursday 8:30AM to 4:30PM, appointments are not necessary. Fridays are by appointment - please use the Online Appointment Form or call to speak with a Department representative. We encourage you to use the online appointment form to schedule meetings by phone or videoconference.
- You can request an appointment online, by phone at 209-577-5267 or by emailing Planning.
- We are available to respond to inquiries by emailing Planning, phone and videoconference at 209-577-5267. If no one is available, please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Transportation Engineering and Design
Economic Development Overview
Modesto is a great place to live, work and visit, and the business community is both vital and supportive. Businesses that come here stay here and prosper in an excellent regional market.
Modesto's high quality of life, affordability, and "Magic 90 Minutes" location is a winning formula for a growing, diverse business community.
Modesto Economic Indicators Report
Modesto continues to experience steady economic growth creating both employment and development opportunities.
The Economic Indicators report summarizes key economic factors and conditions, including Employment; Retail, Commercial and Industrial Real Estate; Building Permit activity; Household Income and Housing markets; and Government performance.