Turf Replacement Program
City of Modesto water customers may be eligible for a rebate when they convert their existing grass area with any qualifying artificial turf products or drought tolerant landscape products. The rebate amount may not exceed $3,000 per residential City of Modesto water account and/or $6,000 per commercial City of Modesto water account. Funding is limited and applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. The City reserves the right to terminate this program at any time and for any reason.
Outdoor landscaping is the single largest use of water in a typical California home or business. In most yards, grass consumes the most water, therefore reducing or eliminating how much grass you have can significantly reduce your water use.
How to Apply
- Obtain an application using one of the following methods:
- If you are not applying online, send completed paper application and the original sales receipt to one of the following:
City of Modesto Attention:Water Division - Rebate Program
PO Box 642
Modesto CA 95353
- Fax: 209-342-4568
A City of Modesto representative will contact you to schedule a brief appointment to verify your existing landscape.
*Do not begin your conversion until the rebate has been approved after the pre-inspection.
Program Guidelines and Participation Section
- City of Modesto customers who pay a water utility bill to the City of Modesto.
- Customer accounts that are in good standing.
- Tenants who provide written approval from the property owner or property manager.
- Area to be converted must have grass or traditional sprinklers intact at the Pre-Inspection appointment in order to qualify for the rebate.
- Program applies to turf replaced between July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022.
- A pre-inspection will be scheduled once the application has been received.
- After approval of pre-inspection, you will have 60 days to complete the conversion of your existing landscaping, which will be indicated in the Notice to Proceed Letter.
- Once completed, contact the City of Modesto Water Conservation to schedule the post-inspection.
- Itemized dated sales receipts for the products used in the conversion are required at the post-inspection.
- If not approved at inspection, you have 30 days to make corrections and to schedule a final inspection.
Turf Replacement (qualifying for rebate)
- Turf replacement must be drought tolerant and permeable (allow water to penetrate into the ground).
- Applicant must provide a simple sketch of the proposed landscape, as well as photos of the existing landscape.
- When replacing turf, irrigation system must be capped, eliminated or converted to drip.
- Turf replacement must be maintained and kept in healthy condition for a minimum of 5 years.
- Turf replacement must be installed within the Modesto City service area and at the address listed on the application.
- Applicants must provide a list of proposed plants with the application.
- If only part of the lawn is converted, the new planting area must be on a separate valve.
- Existing artificial turf, turf installation costs, new construction, accessories, and taxes do not qualify. Reimbursement is for products used in the conversion. Labor cost does not qualify.
- Rebate checks will be mailed within 8 weeks after completing the rebate process.
- Rebate amount cannot exceed the cost of the products used in the conversion. Dated, itemized sales receipts are required at the post-inspection.
- Rebates are limited to $3,000 per residential utility billing account per fiscal year (July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022).
- Rebates are limited to $6,000 per commercial utility billing account per fiscal year (July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022).
Application and Rebate Approval or Denial
- On-site compliance verification is required.
- Original itemized, dated sales receipt for the products used in the conversion area is required at the post-inspection
- Incomplete, incorrect or unsigned applications cannot be processed. We will contact you with any discrepancies and may require you to submit a new application.
- Customer must fulfill all program guidelines to be eligible for rebates.
- The Rebate Program is not responsible for materials lost by mail.
- Submission or possession of a rebate application does not guarantee receiving a rebate.
- Rebates are processed on a first come, first served basis.
- Funding for this rebate program is limited to available resources.
- Rebate amounts are subject to change without notification.
- This program shall at all times be subject to change or termination without prior notice.