I've always said the Modesto community should be the ones to determine how we make our city safer. That's why I believe the Forward Together initiative is so important.
The Modesto Police Department plays a critically important role in keeping Modesto safe, but we all know that law enforcement is only one component. Together we can build a strong, resilient, equitable public safety environment. To do that, we need involvement from the entire community.
We launched Forward Together, intending to build stronger relationships and greater trust. This community engagement process will gather feedback from the public, develop a shared understanding, and explore solutions to improve the safety of our community.
Because we all play a role in this effort, it's important that we include various viewpoints. The Forward Together Work Group is made up of representatives from a diverse group of entities from law enforcement to non-profits, advocacy groups to faith-based organizations (see below for the complete list); these organizations provide essential perspectives.
Equally important is the perspective of Modesto residents. That's why the working group will also include four members from the community at-large. We've been collecting applications, and the Work Group will determine which four individuals will join their team. We expect a subcommittee to be formed at the first meeting on July 20 to review the almost 30 applications.
The first Forward Together meeting will be an important one. This group has a lot of responsibility and a lot of work ahead of them. They'll be learning more about the inter-workings of the Modesto Police Department, our policies, procedures, and how we interact with the criminal justice system to drive down crime and keep the community safe. The Forward Together will also learn about and discuss potential ideas for improving policing in our community so they can go about the challenging task of developing recommendations for the City Council to consider.
We want to hear from all of you! I hope you'll take time to send an email, fill out the online form or leave us a voicemail to share your thoughts on how we can improve public safety in Modesto and move forward together.
Ways to Provide Feedback
Forward Together Work Group
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Northern California
- American Federation of Labor - Stanislaus Central Labor Council
- City Ministry Network
- Central Valley Pride Center (CVPC) MoPride
- Downtown Modesto Partnership
- El Concilio
- Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Latino Community Roundtable
- Modesto Chamber of Commerce
- Modesto City Schools
- Modesto Clergy Council
- Modesto Neighborhoods, Inc.
- Modesto PD Internal Affairs
- Modesto Police Officers Association (MPOA)
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
- Stanislaus County Behavioral Health
- Stanislaus County District Attorney
- Stanislaus County Interfaith Council (SCIC)
- Stanislaus County Public Defender
- Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department
- West Modesto Community Collaborative