Green Waste Collection
The City of Modesto offers residents two options for disposing of green waste during the months of January through November (see note below):
- The 1st option is for small items, such as grass clippings and weeds, which should be placed in your green yard waste can.
- The 2nd option is for larger green waste such as tree trimmings. To properly dispose of these larger wood trimmings, follow the guidelines below and the schedule for collection.
Green waste collection crews work through the City each week according to the newly designated service areas as indicated on the Map (PDF) :
- The 1st full week of the month will be Area A (pink)
- The 2nd full week of the month will be Area B (yellow)
- The 3rd full week of the month will be Area C (green)
- The 4th full week of the month will be Area D (blue)
Note: It may take up to one week to collect green waste in your area. For this purpose, weeks begin on Monday.
Crews will not collect:
- Building materials
- Ground cover
- Household items
- Scrap lumber
- Trash or Hazardous Waste
- Tree stumps
For information on where to dispose of these items, contact the Solid Waste Division.
Find out about Green Waste pickups in the alley behind your property.
City of Modesto crews begin collecting green, untreated Christmas trees in January as part of the normal green waste collection.
Persons failing to follow the green waste guidelines are subject to a progressive fine structure with fines beginning at $1,000.
Trimmings should be placed at the curb in front of your property, should not extend more than three feet into the street and must be at least one foot from the foot of the curb. Where curbs do not exist, trimmings should be placed one foot from the point of low drainage.