Homeowner Rehabilitation Program
Homeowner Rehabilitation Program Summary
This program provides financial and technical assistance to repair or eliminate critical health and safety hazard conditions in homes, and assists persons in making their homes more accessible.
Financial Assistance is provided through forgivable grants and 20-year deferred/amortized Loans:
- Mobile Homeowners are eligible for up to $20,000 forgivable grant after 5 years
- Single Family Homeowners are eligible for a 20-year deferred or amortized loan with 20% of total project costs being a forgivable grant after 10 years
- Homeowners have the ability to select a 3% deferred loan or 0% amortized loan with consistent monthly payments.
Carefully review the qualifications listed below prior to applying for assistance.
- Home must be within the Modesto City limits. To verify, search for your address using the City's GIS Mapping system.
- Home must be owner occupied
- Home value must be greater than mortgage balance
- Must meet the following credit criteria:
- No items in collections
- No bankruptcy's in the last 3 years
- Total household annual income must be under the Total Annual Income levels below.
Qualifying Income Levels
|Persons in Family||Total Annual Income|
|1||at or below $39,950|
|2||at or below $45,650|
|3||at or below $51,350|
|4||at or below $57,050|
|5||at or below $61,650|
|6||at or below $66,200|
|7||at or below $70,750|
|8||at or below $75,350|
Health and Safety Repairs
Repairs include but are not limited to:
- Roof Repairs/Replacement
- Window Repair/Replacement
- HVAC Replacement
- Electrical/Plumbing Repairs
- Accessibility/ADA compliance such as wheelchair lift, grab bars, shower accessibility
Applying for Assistance
Please use our online portal to submit an online application for the Homeowner Rehabilitation Program. In order to use the online application, you will need to create a User profile. Once you are ready to apply, you will need to fill out the application completely and upload the required documentation.
Please allow up to thirty (30) days from the date of application submittal, for eligibility determination. The City will notify you in writing of your eligibility determination.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Providing a Completed Application Packet with all the requested copies of financial information will facilitate and speed up the application review process. The City may request additional documentation of your income after reviewing your application.
A completed application packet consists of:
- Completed Homeowner Rehabilitation Program Application (online or printed)
- The following financial information for each household member who is over the age of 18:
- Tax Returns (last three years)
- W-2s (last three years)
- Checking account statement(s), most recent last three months (no printouts)
- Savings account statement(s), most recent last three months (no printouts)
- Divorce documents, showing child support and alimony
- Recent Mortgage statement
- Copy of Deed of Trust
- Copy of Home insurance
- Three months recent pay stubs and / or most recent Social Security award
- Benefits statements (for example: pension, Social Security, IRA’s, Certificate of Deposits Retirement Account, Money Market Accounts.)