The State Water Resources Control Board voted on February 8 to extend its existing water conservation regulations for 270 days, unless Governor Brown lifts the drought emergency proclamation or the State Water Board determines that emergency regulations should be modified or rescinded.
The extended regulations prohibit wasteful watering practices, such as watering lawns within 48 hours after measurable rainfall, over watering outdoor landscapes causing runoff, or serving drinking water other than upon request in eating and drinking establishments.
The City of Modesto is required to submit monthly reports on potable water production and usage, and comply with either the self-certified individual water conservation standard (20% for Modesto) or a state-imposed conservation mandate, depending on whether the urban water supplier has enough water reserves to withstand three additional dry years.
In May 2017, the State Water Resources Control Board will reconsider whether to repeal the regulations following a more thorough review of the state's hydrologic water conditions. At that time the City will review and determine if the water restrictions can be relaxed. Until then, the City will keep water restrictions in place to achieve the required conservation standard.
Water Use Restrictions
- Outdoor water use prohibited daily from 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Odd-numbered addresses water Wednesday, Sunday
- Even-numbered addresses water, Tuesday, Saturday
- No outdoor water use on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays
- Car washing is permitted with use of a positive shutoff nozzle and is allowed all hours of the approved watering days cited above.
- Hosing concrete areas, building exteriors, etc., is prohibited except for health/safety concerns and only with use of a positive shutoff nozzle.
- Water leaks, once identified by home owner, must be repaired within 24 hours.
- Restaurants and food service establishments prohibited from serving water except upon request.
- New landscaping must comply with existing and future landscape ordinances.
- Mandatory retrofit of low flow showerheads in homes when building remodeling occurs.
- No use of outdoor fountains except for maintenance purposes.
- Water meter installation required on all new single-family homes.
- No irrigating turf or ornamental landscapes during and 48 hours following measureable rain.
- Operators of hotels and motels must provide guests with the option of choosing not to have towels and linens laundered daily and prominently display notice of this option.