On December 12, 2017, the Modesto City Council took the first step toward comprehensive regulation of commercial cannabis activities and personal cannabis cultivation within City limits by conducting a first reading of the proposed ordinances. Enacted through amendments to the Modesto Municipal Code, the cannabis regulations are expected to become effective on February 16, 2018. This timeline includes a second reading and a statutory 30 day waiting period.
The main points of the commercial cannabis regulations are:
- Commercial cannabis activities will be allowed in specified zones subject to certain buffers. Buffers are 600 feet from schools, daycare establishments and youth centers, 200 feet from parks and libraries, and 100 feet from residential property.
- There will be no restriction on the number of commercial businesses other than dispensaries, which will be limited to a maximum of 10. Permits will need to be approved by the City Council.
- No cannabis businesses will be permitted in the downtown area outlined in this map
- No cannabis delivery services will be permitted within the City limits.
- It is anticipated that permit applications may be filed before the expected February 16 effective date for regulation. The permit process is being completed; details on permit application will be forthcoming.
The main points for regulation of non-commercial personal cannabis cultivation are:
- Adults 21 and older, as well as those 18 and older with a doctor’s recommendation for medical cannabis, are permitted to cultivate up to 6 cannabis plants indoors. The limit on number of plants is for the residence, not by person, regardless of how many persons are in residence.
- Cultivation must occur indoors, fully enclosed and secured.
More information will be made available and updated regularly on the City of Modesto’s website at https://www.modestogov.com/cannabis
To stay current on cannabis information, please subscribe to this City News Service.